Although I wimped out while looking in the pregnancy book section of Barnes and No.ble two weeks ago, I put on my big girl panties and headed into Destination Mat.ernity a few hours ago. You see, I no longer can button my pants comfortably, and if I do, muffin tops are a sure thing. So I wanted to purchase those stretchy, tube top looking things - as my friend, Jacki would say, picture the old school "multiples belt." DH and I walked through the doors together. Deep breath and a gulp.
All things pregnancy everywhere!!! I can't lie, it wasn't easy to take it all in. A cute, younger salesgirl approached me almost immediately and asked if I needed any help. Is it that obvious? I asked her where the desired items were and she brought me over to them. She tried to sell me a couple of other pants with the tube thingy built in, which I told her I wasn't ready for. She got the hint and left me to pick out the two colors I needed.
Then I got a little ahead of myself - I started looking at the maternity jeans, or should I say that my DH started looking at them. Apparently True Relig.ion, 7's, and L.ucky Brand make maternity jeans. WOW! Pretty cool!! Enter salesgirl #2 - overly ambitious, super perky, and easily a size 2. She proceeded to try to sell me the $200 something jeans, even after I told her I was only 6 1/2 weeks pregnant. I thought she got the hint until I went to the register with my purchases. I DID decide to buy the book, What to Exp.ect When You're Ha.ving Tw.ins, Triplets, or Qua.ds as recommended by both a fellow blogger and IRL friend. She gushed that I was having twins. I told her it was still early and I was still in shock. She then had me sign up for all sorts of coupons and shit. I'm hoping I don't regret that at some point. And then she dropped the bomb on us.
"You've been pre-approved for a Mastercard that works with like 1,000s of retailers to donate money into a college fund for your babies. No annual fee, it's free, most couples save like $50,000 using it." A look went to my DH - she was waiting for a nod only and I swear to God she was going to sign us up. My DH is really the best. His dry sense of humor and directness was most appreciated at that moment. He responded with, "Do I need to agree to this?"
She looked a little hurt, and then asked me if I wanted the card. "Nope."
She came back with, "Okay, well I'm going to enter you to get a subscription for Parenting Magazine." I told you she was overly ambitious.
I looked at her and said, "Really. I'm not interested." She, of course, reminded me that all of the information was in my bag if I changed my mind, and oh yeah, the book is a Final Sale. Fuck. I really hope I don't regret that purchase too.
I'm now avoiding that store for as long as possible. Just like the pregnancy after infertility book that needs to be written, I think we should get our own store too. The salespeople will know to be cautiously happy for us, will have had similar experiences, and will NOT try to sell us parenting mags or god forbid a flipping college fund savings program. They'll understand that we don't 100% believe that there will be a baby or babies at the end of this. A COLLEGE FUND?! She must have been high. It's the only explanation that makes sense.
- Erica
- a wife, daughter, sister, and friend who has dealt with infertility and is now learning to accept all that life has to offer
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh Boy - I would have been very tempted to say something like "Yeah, considering we used up the baby's college fund in just trying to conceive the baby, I suppose we now have to depend on the kindness of others to contribute for the baby's education!!"
ReplyDeleteSorry you had to go through that. A pregnancy after infertility store sounds like a great idea!! :-)
I hate sales people in general. And now they seem so much more desparate due to the economy.
ReplyDeleteStill super happy about the twins! I am so pumped for you! I would love to have twins! But all us infertility gals will be super pumped to have just 1! Just give me 1 God- please!
ReplyDeletei STILL have not gone into a maternity story and I'm 16 wks!! i'm so impressed that you went. i am scared as hell!
ReplyDeleteyay! Congrats for not having a panic attack!
ReplyDeletep.s. - Seven maternity jeans are the AWESOMEST. But, I bought all mine on ebay because really, it's hard enough for me to pay the $200 on the jeans I wear everyday, muchless the ones I can wear for ONE trimester!
I haven't been brave enough to go into a maternity store. I just can't bring myself to do it.
ReplyDeleteFirst, still super excited and hopeful for you - cannot wait to hear about your next u/s.
ReplyDeleteUgh on the salesgirls...glad you went shopping no sense in being uncomfortable.
Well THAT was an experience. lol. Hang in there and enjoy the tube top thingy!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on taking that big step and putting yourself out there in a world that is so new to you.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that you had such a terrible experience..
I hope for your sake, that it gets easier as time goes on, and that people stop trying to shove things in your face..
I hope your feeling better soon.
"She must have been high."
ReplyDeleteHa! And I agree. I hate pushy salespeople, but in this situation it's 100 times worse.
I love it, that sounds way to much like my first experience in one of those stores.
ReplyDeleteThe belly band by the way is a lifesaver. I live in mine. None of my jeans fit but maternity pants swallow me up and are huge so that band is the best damn invention. I just wish it would hook onto my jeans so I don't have to adjust it every time I stand up. SO ANNOYING!
But trust me you'll be glad you got that.
That's rough. Sorry hon! Hang int here, you're doing a great job!
ReplyDelete*HUGS*
Hey girl,
ReplyDeleteJust for my own sanity, could you please read my comments on my "Broken" post and tell me if I was out of line in posting that I was upset? A so-called friend just chewed me the f*ck out and I'm really pissed. I just need to know an opinion from another IF.
I love you girl. I'll change the web address as soon as I'm done laughing at all my IF girls going off on her! It's awesome. I warned her! :)
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing your story. we're just at the beginning of our IF journey
ReplyDeleteHey, just wanted to say "thanks" for your thoughtful comment on my blog. I've been avoiding blogosphere and message boards during my waiting period - for sanity's sake. But I'm doing good- focusing on other things, as one must do. (Just keep on, keepin on).
ReplyDeleteI hope you're feeling well and most of all, feeling more and more confident each day. You deserve to enjoy this pregnancy more than you worry (easier said than done, I know), but you'll get there. I'm looking forward to seeing your updates. Take care :)
What a yucky experience in the store but I am sooooo glad you are getting to buy maternity clothes. How fun to have an excuse for an elastic waistband. LOL
ReplyDeleteSo happy for you! I totally remember multiples. LOL
(was Mamasoon)
Wow! You're having twins. I found you from another blog and they said you and your husband experienced male factor infertility. So are we. I'm very apprehensive of medical approaches, but see stories like yours and get inspired. Any words of wisdom?
ReplyDelete~Michelle
Hi there! Here blogroll surfing for ICLW!!! Congrats on your little twin peas, and I COMPLETELY get your guardedness. I didn't buy a single baby item when I was pregnant with my son (after almost 4 years of IF) until I was almost 5 months pregnant. Of course, the maternity wear couldn't wait though, since I popped early even having a singleton.
ReplyDeleteI have considered getting one of those 'bella bands' for the serious IF treatment bloat I get each month. Maybe they should make one called 'this isn't for pregnancy, and definitely will not jinx you' band.
Happy ICLW!
Hi Erica- just checking in on you and hoping all is well ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteI went to Motherhood Maternity to get a pair of tights a few months ago. I bought them in small size according to the instruction. Guess what? There was no way that I could put the tights on, because the elastic was just way too tight. But they have this stupid return policy that does not allow return or exchange of undergarments. I will never spend a penny in a Motherhood Maternity store, which is owned by Destination Maternity.
ReplyDeleteI found some very cute and inexpensive maternity shirts, shorts and pants at Ross. The maternity clothes at Ross are half the price compared to a maternity store. By the way, craigslist also has a lot of used maternity and baby clothes that are a huge bargain.
I’m sorry about what happened to your friend, and I hope she will have some good outcomes.